Individuals in the teen years and youth years are huge fans of technology. Students as young as ten years are more conversant with technology than most adults. The most available technological tool for such students is the smartphone. In the current times, students use mobile phones for almost every purpose, be it ordering food, entertainment or even learning. Students can also access all the information from all parts of the world on their phones. Phones have in some way taken the place of libraries in terms of research and education purposes. Innovators have been able to make all this information available to mobile phone users by the use of applications found in the app stores.
With the aim of incorporating the educative material in the app stores, innovators have developed several apps for learners as well as teachers and the parents. These apps have come with a lot of advantages in the education sector including:
- Creation of new learning methods that are fun and exciting to students, for instance, learning through game applications like word puzzles or mathematical games.
- Improvement of communication between teachers and parents through communication apps
- Creation of an online library from which students can get books and appropriate study materials online hence encouraging online studying
- Improvement of communication between students and their teachers as well as their learning institution.
- Improvement is the school management system through management apps that are very popular in countries like India
- Finally, the improvement of classroom behavior management
The Impact of mobile phone apps
Apps have been developed for not only the purpose of improving the learning process but also to improve the teaching process, encouraging parent participation in their student’s learning, to monitor progress and also to manage the classroom practice. Classroom behavior management apps are used by the instructors or teachers to ensure that students are gaining from their classroom experience and no disruptions come in the way of the learning process. An example of such applications is the Noise Meter App.
This application monitors the noise levels in the classroom. The noise levels are visualized to the students and encourage the students to self-regulate themselves. In other words, the application help reminds students what the noise situation should be in the classroom at specific ties like during sessions and during breaks. The application also has sensitive microphones that can be customized, remote controllability, as well as animations that can be fun. The application is installed on both the teachers’ and students’ phones.
This application is not only technological but mental. Research shows that students enjoy seeing the noise meter go down hence encourages them to maintain the right noise levels. This helps the teachers maintain silence in classrooms, keep the students in check and generally improve the classroom experience for both teacher and students. The app translates into many languages that make it adaptable to different nationalities all over the globe.
Many schools have adopted mobile phone applications in their institutions and over the years the methods have proved effective.